RE: st: Missing values and listing IDs

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Missing values and listing IDs
Date   Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:23:01 -0000

No. That is legal code, but it doesn't do what you want.

missing(x1-x6) is true if the difference between the two variables x1
and x6, i.e. the expression x1-x6, is missing, not if any of the
variables x1 through x6 is missing.

There are at least two ways to see this:

1. Experiment with made-up data.

2. Look at the help. You want -missing()- to support
-missing(<varlist>)- but it doesn't. Its arguments must be separated by
commas. (Conversely, a <varlist> cannot contain commas. If it did then

Ashim Kapoor

would missing(x1-x6) work? I have seen that sometimes.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Nick Cox <> wrote:

> Note that what you must type, or otherwise get Stata to see, is
> missing(x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6)
> That is, Stata will not replace an ellipsis ... with what you intend
> imply.
> That said, you can go
> list id if missing(x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6)
> The new variable is not essential for this purpose.

Johannes Geyer