Re: st: Gini coefficient, question

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Gini coefficient, question
Date   Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:28:47 -0000

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 01:26:05 -0300
From: "Joao Ricardo F. Lima" <>
Subject: Re: st: Gini coefficient, question

Dear lIya,

I think you can use -svylorenz- or -ineqerr-.

net describe svylorenz, from(

STB-51  sg115 . . . . . .  Bootstrap standard errors for indices of

Joao Lima

2008/11/12 Ilya [iso-8859-1] María Espino Cruz <>:
> Hellow!!
> I have question regarding Gini coefficient, I have households survey
of my
> country, Chile named CASEN, so I want to calculate the Gini
> weighted by population, and I want to calculate the Gini coefficient
> water subsidies, that is variable´s survey, that is to evaluate the
> benefit targeting performance of consumer utility services (Komives,
> 2005).I don´t know if "inequal" can be used to this calculate?
> Thanks,
> Ilya Espino.
> University of Concepción, Chile

Thanks for the -svylorenz- plug. Note that it produces not only a Gini
estimate, but also an estimate of its standard error (using
linearisation methods).  If Ilya does not require an estimate of the
standard error -- she does not say -- then there are large number of
programs that will yield it, even for weighted data (see recent
Statalist posts). They include -ineqdeco- (or -ineqdec0-) by me, and
-inequal7- by Philippe Van Kerm.   (My recollection is that -inequal-
has problems; they motivated Philippe's -inequal7-).

Be aware that -ineqerr-, from STB-51 and a version 5 program, (not
authored by me) uses bootstrap methods to derive standard errors.
However, if you have weighted data, plain vanilla bootstrap methods
(as in -ineqerr-) do not necessarily produce estimates with all the
desired properties.  Check out Stas Kolenikov's Statalist posts on
this topic, and his recent presentation at NASUG.

Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <>
Director, Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
Survival Analysis using Stata:
Downloadable papers and software:

Learn about the UK's new household panel survey, "Understanding