st: insheet delimiter problem

From   "Ada Ma" <>
Subject   st: insheet delimiter problem
Date   Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:06:30 +0000

Hi Statalist,

Is there a way to stop Stata seeing double quotes as delimiters?  I
have data files in txt format, the data is pipe (|) delimited, but the
people who generated the data also use double quotes (") to specify
missing variables so I got a large number of pipes with a couple of
double quotes I find in the txt files.

I can read the data in Stata fine - only if I open up the text files
and remove all the double quotes before I -insheet- the data with pipe
specified as the delimiter.  If would be nice if I don't have to check
for double quotes first because it would save me the time opening up
the data files twice - first for getting rid of double quotes and
another for reading it into Stata.