Re: st: RE: Labelling stacked histograms

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Labelling stacked histograms
Date   Sat, 8 Nov 2008 09:37:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- fran brittan <> wrote:
> Var2 is numerical data, not string. I attached labels to the values
> using this command:
> label def var2 1 "value1" etc.
> If I type "label list", it lists the values as I defined them.
> If I just tabulate it, it shows the numerical values. I don't want to
> change the variable to string.

What you need to type next is:

label value var2 var2

-label define- just defines the label but does not attach it to a
variable. This can be useful when you have many question with the same
value labels (e.g. 1 "strongly agree", 2 "agree", 3 "neutral", etc). In
that case you have to define the labels only once, and you can apply it
to a whole set of variables.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam