st: re: IV regression with multiple IVs

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: IV regression with multiple IVs
Date   Sun, 2 Nov 2008 16:00:48 -0500

Nathan said

I am running an IV regression in Stata 10 and am instrumenting 2
variables, each with 2 instruments.

More specifically, variable x_t is instrumented with r_t and (r_t)^2
and x_t-1 is instrumented with r_t-1 and (r_t-1)^2.

The code I am using to do this currently is:

ivregress 2sls y  (x   x_l =  r   r2   r_l  r2_l), robust cluster(ccode)

2 denotes squared, _l is the lag.

Can anyone please advise if this is the correct code for what I am
attempting to do? Any help is appreciated.

It is not meaningful to talk about "this is being instrumented by that". All included endogenous variables (x and x_l) are instrumented by all exogenous variables, which in this case are the four in the list. If you are confident that current r is exogenous, then this code makes sense. You should do a test for overidentifying restrictions after running the regression to ensure that the assumptions of exogeneity are reasonable. I believe that after -ivregress- you can do this with -estat-; -ivregress- does not automatically produce the test as -ivreg2- does.