Re: st: Kruskal-Wallis equivalent for survey data with pweight

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Kruskal-Wallis equivalent for survey data with pweight
Date   Sat, 1 Nov 2008 11:27:22 -0400

See Stata's Survival Analysis manual, p. 93. The log-rank test, also known as the exponential scores test or Savage test, is the likelihood score test in a Cox regression model with indicator variables for groups. It tests the hypothesis that all coefficients are zero. For -stcox-, Stata reports instead the generalized Wald statistic (F test), which tests the same hypothesis. The results are usually quite close.

**************************CODE BEGINS**************************
sysuse auto,clear
svyset _n
stset mpg
sts test foreign, logrank
svy: stcox foreign

-Steve

--

You have not given us a good reason for preferring the K-W test. It is the most widely known rank test for comparing >2 groups, but there are many others. The test from -stcox- is appropriate for any positive random variable, censored or not. It has power to detect group differences even if the proportional-hazards assumption is false. You report the p-value from the test statistic, but you need not report estimated coefficients-these depend on the truth of the proportional-hazards assumption. Instead, plot the weighted survival or distribution curves.

However, a k-sample test is rarely enough by itself, even if "significant". The real questions are: which groups differ from one another? how do they differ? are the differences explained or moderated by other factors?

Good luck!

Steve