st: RE: -log- in Stata to bypass commands that resulted in errors?

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: -log- in Stata to bypass commands that resulted in errors?
Date   Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:14:59 -0000

I don't think this is possible directly, at least not for users.

I think it would be feasible to write something, e.g. in Mata, that did
much of that retrospectively, but it seems not to have tempted anyone as
a project.

The biggest reason, in my experience, is that you want to edit a log not
just for mistakes, but also for repetitions, digressions, and things
that were legal but not interesting or useful

In any really serious project, you should use -log- and -cmdlog-
simultaneously. Then with an eye on the log, edit the command log so
that it contains only commands that were legal and useful. Then run the
command log as a do file and get the log you now wish you had.

Mingfeng Lin

I'm just curious if there is a way (or maybe an add-on) in Stata to
create a log file for only the correct commands? -log using- or -#
review- will capture all commands that have been typed in the window,
including those resulting in errors.  If there is a way for the log to
automatically filter out those commands, it would be really nice,
especially replicating what we do in an interative manner with Stata.