Re: st: xtmixed output

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtmixed output
Date   Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:49:32 -0500

This is covered in Rabe-Hesketh and Skrondal's book available from Stata Press.

Note -xtreg- gives a z statistic as does -xtmixed- and -gllamm-. It is -regress- that give the t statistic.

According the authors, "The reason this statistic is called z instead of t is that a standard normal sampling distribution is assumed under the null hypothesis that B = 0 instead of a t distribution. The t distribution is a finite sample distribution whose shape depends on the degrees of freedom. For the variance components model, the finite sample distribution does not have a simple form, so Stata's commands used the asymptotic (large-sample) sampling distribution. (Some other software packages approximate the finite-sample distribution by a t distribution where the degrees of freedom are some function of the data.) ..."

and they go one from there...