Re: st: svyset when looking at children of respondents

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: svyset when looking at children of respondents
Date   Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:21:50 -0400

Alex:

Too start off, each child will inherit the probability weight, stratum, and cluster assignments of its mother.

I see two ways of accounting for clustering by mother:

1. Add mother as a last stage of "sampling" in your -svyset- command, but with no finite population correction. See the -svyset- help or the Stata Survey manual. Use Stata's -svy: logit- command.

2. Fit a multilevel logistic model (level 1: child, level 2: mother) with -gllamm- (downloadable from SSC, manual http:// www.bepress.com/ ucbbiostat/paper160). -gllamm- accepts probability weights and a cluster unit above than the highest level in your model. -gllamm- is not a -svy- enabled program, so you cannot use the stratum information in the survey design. However you can use stratum-level covariates. Stas Kolenikov has a demo at http://www.unc.edu/~skolenik/ stata/gllamm-demo.html

If you are interested in conditional, rather than marginal, predictions, you might choose to ignore the survey sampling weights altogether.

I recommend the -glamm- option. With -glamm- you will be able to model woman-level effects as fixed and random.

You should be aware of a potential bias in selecting the births for your study data. Women may prefer to end their pregnancies with a successful one (in some places, perhaps, with a successful male birth). If this is the case, you should exclude a woman's last birth from your data. To guard against this problem, you may also include as a covariate the outcomes of prior pregnancies and births. I would not recommend this if you are interested in marginal, rather than conditional, prediction. (-gllamm- will do both kinds.)

If you want to use Stata's -svy- commands, and you are combining multiple surveys, there are other issues. I suggest that you create "super-strata" which cross countries or survey periods with the within-survey strata.

Good luck!

-Steve