st: RE: RE: St: replace in

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: St: replace in
Date   Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:30:02 +0100

To elaborate on Martin's comment:

This is nothing to do with -for-. At Eric's request, I won't lecture him
against using -for-. I'll just explain to everyone else that -for- is
outdated, slow, and may bite you, just like a bad-tempered dog in
retirement. Still, you may have good feelings for that dog, remembering
happier days.

Eric's problems would arise with e.g.

replace lbmlifexint1993[_40] = lbmlifexint1993[_41] if
lbmlifexint1993[_41] == .

The underscores don't belong here. (Perhaps Eric is thinking somehow of

replace lbmlifexint1993[40] = lbmlifexint1993[41] if lbmlifexint1993[41]
== .

Now see things from Stata's viewpoint. The syntax for -replace- is

replace oldvar =exp [if] [in]

setting aside an option not relevant here.

So nothing can go before the = sign except the name