st: Re: Problem with replace if - test condition works only for some values of test variable

From   Naunihal Singh <>
Subject   st: Re: Problem with replace if - test condition works only for some values of test variable
Date   Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:57:58 -0400

I think I understand a bit better what's going on.
replace y=1 if x==.26 fails because x actually equals .2599999
. di x[27]
(this is strange b/c x was generated with this command: generate x=
(_n/100)-0.01 in 1/101 )
So the problem wasn't that float had too few digits of precision (both
.25 and .26 fit in the same number of bytes), it's that stata was
storing (27/100)-0.01 as .25999999 instead of .26.

I've tried using the round command to tackle this, but I must be doing
something wrong in the syntax:
replace x=round(x,0.01)
(0 real changes made)
even though
di round(.25999999, 0.01)
Is there a problem with using round in replace in that way?

Thanking you all in advance, and Phil for his earlier response,