st: RE: expanding on -egen rowmin()-

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: expanding on -egen rowmin()-
Date   Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:03:41 +0100

This problem arises a lot, and has been discussed frequently on the list, but -egen- is not the right keyword to search on.

Search the archives using -rowsort- and -sortrows- as key words.

Or doing it in Mata by using -egen, rowmedian()- from -egenmore- on SSC as a starting-point.

Also, if you want this, you might consider -reshape-, -generate- and -reshape- as a sequence.

Augusto Cadenas

I wanted to go beyond the command -egen rowmin(/varlist/)- and create
a new variable containing the second-smallest value in /varlist/,
another one with the third-smallest and so one. Could anyone suggest
me a way to do this? I searched among the extensions of egen, but I
could not find anything suitable.