Re: st: question on xtile using cutpoints

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: question on xtile using cutpoints
Date   Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:05:25 +0100 (BST)

--- Sharon Kane <> wrote:
> This is the basic technique I am using:
> xtile [new varname] = [var containing the numbers I want separated
> into quintiles], cut[benchmark figure quintiles]
> Using this technique (and many variations of it), I can't use nq(5)
> to identify how many cutpoints.  Any suggestions?  Is there a better
> way?

If you specify the cutpoints you can't specify the number of groups, as
this number is already defined by your data and the cutpoints.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081