st: R: re: a question related to -foreach-

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: R: re: a question related to -foreach-
Date   Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:37:31 +0200

Dear Kit,
thanks a lot for your kind and helpful reply.

I am anxiously longing to take a look at your fortcoming textbook for
imporoving my (poor) Stata programming skills!

Thanks a lot agin and Kind Regards,

-----Messaggio originale-----
[] Per conto di Christopher Baum
Inviato: martedì 21 ottobre 2008 18.20
Oggetto: st: re: a question related to -foreach-

< >
Carlo asks
. foreach x of varlist b1-b36 {
  2. summarize `x'
3. }
  I would like to generate a newvar in which the r(mean) for each one
of the 36 variables included in varlist are stored. How can I do this
in Stata 9.2/SE?

No need to use a foreach loop.

tabstat b1-b36, save
mat mu = r(StatTotal)'
mat li mu

If for some reason you want these in a variable, use -svmat-:

svmat mu

which creates variable mu1, obs. 1-36.