Re: st: Error r(9611)

From   "Brian Karfunkel" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Error r(9611)
Date   Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:55:16 -0700

In trying to find out precisely what was causing the problem, I made
some vary simple test programs that sort of mimic the structure of my
original program: there is -run_test.do-, which calls the other
programs, -test_loop.do-, which just does a simple for-loop, and
-run_program.ado-, which simply tries to run/do/include -test_loop.do-
(see complete code below). Running -run_test.do- causes error r(9611)
just like my original program, but it does not have the problem with
modifying the loop variable in the loop (which is a problem for other
reasons anyway, though, so thanks for catching it).

What I have concluded from my tests is that the error is thrown when
an ADO-file -INCLUDE-s a do-file with a loop (any kind, foreach,
forvalues, or while). The error is thrown at the moment the loop in
the DO-file starts. Note that including the loop itself in the
ADO-file doesn't cause an error, nor does -run-ing or -do-ing the
DO-file with the loop. Indeed, I have developed a work-around for my
original problem by simply copying the code I was trying to -include-
and pasting it in the ado-file itself; so the code in question works
when literally in the ado-file but not when it is in a do-file that is
-include-d in the ado-file.

It seemed fishy how capricious the error was to me, so I tried it on
another Windows machine and on a UNIX machine using Stata IC, both of
which also threw the error.

Thanks for everyone's help again.

CODE:

*******************************
* run_test.do
* This is the do-file that should actually be executed; it will call
everything else

* Including the loop do-file in a do-file doesn't cause an error
include "test_loop.do"

* Run a custom ado file -- note that the error is thrown without the
second display line (returned...etc.) being displayed
noi: di "About to run program"
run_program
noi: di "Returned from program"

* END OF RUN_TEST.DO

*******************************
* test_loop.do
* This do-file just does a simple loop (this is a forvalues loop, but
I've tried it with while and foreach loops and found the same problem)
* This program runs a loop to see if it will work
noi: di "Starting test loop..."
forvalues x=1/10 {
	di "x: `x'"
}
noi: di "Exiting test loop..."

* END OF TEST_LOOP.do

*****************************
* run_program.ado
* This is an ado-file that, first, executes a loop with no problem,
* Then, runs/does test_loop.do, again with no problem
* Then, tries to -include- test_loop.do, which throws an error

program define run_program
noi: di "{res}In run_program"

* Running a regular loop in the ado-file poses no problems
forvalues x=1/10 {
	noi: di "{txt}in run_program.ado: `i' x: `x'"
}

* And, I can -run- or -do- the do-file with no problem either
noi: di "{txt}running test_loop"
run "test_loop.do"
noi: di "{txt}test_loop ran successfully"

noi: di "{txt}doing test_loop"
do "test_loop.do"
noi: di "{txt}did test_loop successfully

* But -INCLUDE-ing it causes error r(9611)
noi: di "{txt}About to -include- test_loop"
include "test_loop.do"

*END OF RUN_PROGRAM:
end

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:23 AM, William Gould, StataCorp LP
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Brian Karfunkel <[email protected]> reports, "I'm getting a weird error,
> -r(9611)-, when I run my program."  Brian quoted about 50 lines of code.
>
> I beleive I have uncovered the problem.  In Code Block 1, Brian has
> the following
>
>        foreach var of varlist `model_varlist' {
>                if (...) {
>                        local model_varlist "`model_varlist' ..."
>                }
>        }
>
> To wit, Brian changes the contents of the macro controlling the
> loop, `model_varlist', in the body of the loop.
>
> That is not allowed.  It is not allowed in any of the syntactical
> variants of -foreach-, including -foreach ... of varlist-,
> -foreach ... of local-, ..., or -foreach ... in-.  It is not allowed
> for speed-of-execution reasons.
>
> One way to code what Michael wants to do is
>
>        local i = 1
>        local var : word `i' of `model_varlist'
>        while ("`var'"!="") {
>                if (...) {
>                        local model_varlist "`model_varlist' ..."
>                }
>                local var : word `++i' of `model_varlist'
>        }
>
> By the way, another way of coding
>
>                local var : word `++i' of `model_varlist'
>
> is
>
>                local i = `i' + 1
>                local var : word `i' of `model_varlist'
>

> -- Bill
> [email protected]

Brian Karfunkel
Research Fellow

Stanford Law School
Crown Quadrangle
559 Nathan Abbott Way
Stanford, California 94305

+1.650.721.5694 (office) | +1.978.886.1607 (mobile)