st: Re: changing format

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: changing format
Date   Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:24:32 +0200

see -help dates_and_times##str2num-

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nishant Dass" <>
To: "STATA Help" <>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:16 PM
Subject: st: changing format

I am using Stata 10.0 for Windows and I have a small question about the "format" of variables:

I have several date variables that appear as string variables in my Stata dataset (reported as "31JAN2008", for instance):

             storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
maturitydate    str9   %9s                    MaturityDate
offerdate       str9   %9s                    OfferDate

I need to find the duration between these two dates so I am trying to change them to a date format as follows:

. format maturitydate offerdate %td

But I get the following error:

"string %fmt required for string variables"

Could someone tell how can I change string variables to dates?

Thank you!