st: RE: Weighted daily mean

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Weighted daily mean
Date   Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:23:34 +0200

Would not - egen trademeantot=mean(trade)- be a shortcut to the desired
result, i.e. why go through the daily mean to arrive at the overall mean?

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Beatrice Crozza
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:06 PM
Subject: st: Weighted daily mean

Dear all,

maybe again a simple question, but I tried to read the help and I
didn't find a solution.

I have calculated a daily mean for my variable trade, typing:

egen trademean=mean(trade), by(date)

now I want to calculate the total mean, so I typed:

egne trademeantot=mean(trademean)

but I don't think that the result is correct.

Do you have any idea of how to calculate a mean, taking into account
the daily mean?

Thank you very much