st: hw advice wanted

From   Richard Goldstein <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: hw advice wanted
Date   Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:13:12 -0400

I am starting to plan the purchase of my next machine and am
looking for advice, comments, help (etc.).

I am just starting to receive some very large data sets
(received 1 TB so far) and thus I want a machine that
includes at least the following:

64 bit
at least 32 GB of RAM (more if I can afford it)
several TB of internal hard drive

my questions:

1. what other criteria, if any, should I be using?

2. are there name vendors that supply such machines or will
I need to go to a place that builds them to order? Names of
vendors appreciated

3. what OS????

Any advice, guidance, help greatly appreciated