st: Re: symbol for ">=" in graph text box

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: symbol for ">=" in graph text box
Date   Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:50:09 -0400

< >
Quite so. "Upper ASCII" or "eight-bit ASCII" characters beyond decimal 127 differ depending on operating system and 'code page'. I found yesterday that comparison of the ISO-8859-1 ("Latin-1") and MacRoman character sets shows that some characters are in the former and not the latter, and v.v. The \leq, \geq symbols are present in MacRoman and missing from ISO-8859-1 (which is a subset of "Windows-1252", proprietary to M$ as MacRoman is proprietary to Apple). Likewise the superscript 2 and 3 symbols are in ISO-8859-1 but missing from MacRoman.

IMHO publication-quality graphics will only be available in Stata when Stata allows for Unicode specifications, that is, mixing character sets in a graph (as one can in a LaTeX text document) to include such things as Greek characters, math symbols, accented characters of all sorts in graphs, without resort to hacks such as tweaking the PostScript files. This is also important for output in the Results or SMCL log: if you're labelling variables or outcomes using accents, you want to be able to see them that way (and not just the common French/ Spanish/German accents). Presently the situation w.r.t. output tables is more readily handled, as programs such as -estout- allow for the inclusion of any LaTeX directive when producing a TeX table.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html