st: Re: Merging obervations of two variables

Subject   st: Re: Merging obervations of two variables
Date   Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:42:54 +0200

Not sure whether I fully grasp the question, but seems you should replace the "&" for the "|" (or sign)...

gen time1= time if code==1 | code==2

See -h operator-

Regarding your last attempt:
You can only generate a variable once, every other editing has to be effected via -replace-...

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Beatrice Crozza" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:38 AM
Subject: st: Merging obervations of two variables

Dear all,

maybe this is a simple question, but I don't know how to overcome my problem.

I have a variable time and I should generate another variables equal
to time when another variable (code) is equal to 1 or 2.

However, I don't know how to instruct stata for this.

I tried with:
gen time1= time if code==1 & code==2

but of course I will have all missing values.

Thus, I created two variables:
gen time1= time if code==1
gen time1= time if code==2

but I would like to merge the values of the two variables at this point.

Any idea of how to do this?

Thank you.

Best,
Bea