Re: st: tmap and point counts per spatial area

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: tmap and point counts per spatial area
Date   Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:27:54 -0400

Hello Andre!

AFAIK neither -tmap- nor -spmap- does what you request.

But you could try doing it yourself. Google for "point-in-polygon"
algorithms, there are several quite easy ones available (including
source code). -shp2dta- will store the beginning point of a polygon 2
times (begin and end), if I am not mistaken. This will matter
sometimes. (for odd/even-feature algorithms). Be careful, when your
point's coordinates fall exactly on the edge (in the corner).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_in_polygon

Most algorithms are formulated for a one polygon case. Converted
shapefiles may have donut-shaped areas, which are described a
combination of individual polygons.   (E.g. consider map of South
Africa, with Lesotho in the middle). The situation could potentially
be recursive (enclave within enclave) . E.g. from Statoids:

"West Bengal has many small exclaves within the Rajshahi division of
Bangladesh, and vice versa. According to Brendan Whyte's thesis, there
are 106 of them. For the height of complexity, a part of Dahala
Khagrabari, India is surrounded by Bangladeshi territory (part of
Upanchowki Bhajni, Bangladesh), which is itself surrounded by Balapara
Khagrabari, India, which in turn is surrounded by Bangladesh. This is
the world's only counter-counter-enclave."

Most algorithms are readily available for shapefiles. I personally
enjoy MapWinGIS library. But it can't be used directly in Stata, you
have to write a plugin or a standalone exe.

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin