RE: st: Re: Displaying mean in boxplot (weight & subgroup)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: Displaying mean in boxplot (weight & subgroup)
Date   Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:26:03 +0100

Good questions.

Question 1.

-stripplot- does not support two or more -over()- options.

But I owe to Hermione Granger a trick that makes that less of a
limitation than it should be. (Economists and econometricians are
reminded that referring to this as the Granger trick may well be
misunderstood.)

Use an -over()- and -by()- in this way:

stripplot mpg, over(foreign) by(rep78, col(1) compact note("")) ///
subtitle(, pos(9) placement(e) nobexpand bcolor(none) ring(1))  ///
box(bfcolor(ltblue)) scheme(s1color) ytitle(Repair record and car type)

Note that the -subtitle()- option is not a suboption of -by()-.

Hermione would want me to emphasise that you have to get this just
right.

Question 2.

-stripplot- does not support weights. That is tacit in the help and
explicit in the code.

As author, I have never wanted them to date. However, there is a clear
possibility that if you want -box- or -bar- information you would want
that to be based on appropriate weights. The best you can do at present
is either or both of

* Cloning -stripplot- and adding them yourself to the code.

* Calculating the required information upstream of -stripplot- and using
its -addplot()- option to show that, in the spirit of previous examples
in this thread.

Aca N.T.

Some other questions came up in mind:
1. How to create such graph by another subgroup? This would look like
producing a conventional boxplot using -gr hbox var1, over(var2)
over(var3)-
2. Is it possible to take weight into account when using stripplot?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> The second example, like the first, requires that -mean- exists as a
> variable first,
> e.g. from
>
> egen mean = mean(mpg), by(foreign)
>
> Thanks to Martin for the correction.
>
> Aca N.T.
>
> Thanks Nick, it works well. I didnt get any error message as Martin
> did..
>
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Martin Weiss <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Is "mean" defined somewhere in this code? I get "r(111)" "variable
> mean not
>> found"...
>
> "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
>
>>> Example of orthodox box plot follows. N.B. that this requires prior
>>> installation of -egenmore- from SSC.
>>>
>>> sysuse auto, clear
>>>
>>> egen adju = adju(mpg), by(foreign)
>>>
>>> egen adjl = adjl(mpg), by(foreign)
>>>
>>> egen loq = pctile(mpg), by(foreign) p(25)
>>>
>>> egen upq = pctile(mpg), by(foreign) p(75)
>>>
>>> stripplot mpg, ///
>>> over(foreign) ms(none) box(bfcolor(ltblue)) yla(, noticks)
pstyle(p1)