st: Re: symbol for ">=" in graph text box

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: symbol for ">=" in graph text box
Date   Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:38:01 -0400

< >
There is some confusion here. First of all ANSI does not define character sets. (It is a standards organization, but for things like plumbing and electrical fixtures). What you mean is ASCII. If I use - asciiplot- from SSC, it displays the available characters in my current graphics font (set by Preferences->Graphics etc.) Whether I set the default graphics font to Helvetica, Times New Roman or Courier (which are all standard PostScript fonts), ASCII code 178 is \leq and ASCII code 179 is \geq, and something like

local ti "price `=char(178)' 10000"
scatter price mpg if price>=10000,ti("`ti'")

readily displays the \geq symbol in my graph without any PostScript hacking. This works fine on Mac OS X 10.5.5. If you set the current graphics font, doesn't this same technique work on the Dark Side?

Kit

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html