st: RE: symbol for ">=" in graph text box

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: symbol for ">=" in graph text box
Date   Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:40:17 +0100

Hitherto in such cases I have used the word "over".

Some people have saved to .eps and hacked the PostScript.

Otherwise I agree with your general drift that it would be very nice if
it were easier than it appears to be.

Leny Mathew

                          I'm trying to include the 'correct' symbol
for ">=" in the legend text box in a graph. Looking through the
archives, I found Nick Cox's article on inserting awkward characters
in stata which recommended using the 'char' command with the ASCII
codes. This would have worked, but the ASCII code for ">=" comes under
the extended list (code- 242) and this produces a different character
which corresponds to 242 in the ANSI list. It looks like ">=" doesn't
exist in the ANSI list!
Another option was to use the method suggested by David Harrison in
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-03/msg00483.html. I could
modify the font that I was using by replacing a least used character
by the ">=" sign from the ASCII list
I ran into trouble with this as I couldn't replace a character with
the ">=" symbol.

Is there any easy way of doing this? I would think that the symbol for
">=" would be commonly used in graphs and was under the impression
that this would be a simple thing to do!