st: Calculating growth rates in a panel dataset

From   Marcus Keupp <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Calculating growth rates in a panel dataset
Date   Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:16:33 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

please forgive me if the following question seems obvious to you. I have
checked the Statalist
archive and FAQs but answers but found none. My problem is one of data
manipulation in a large
panel dataset. The data ave the following form ("Time of measurement"
refers to the six points in time when the data were collected,
for research design reasons I only use information from periods 3-6)

Panel ID (firm)        Time of measurement                      Sales
103                                3                        3.3million
103                                4                        6.0million
103                                5                        8.2million
103                                6                        8.9million
104                                3                        45.2million
104                                4                        46.5million
104                                5                        43.2million
104                                          6 37.2million

and so on for all panel IDs. What I want to do is to calculate the sales
growth rate for each interval, so that
for each panel ID / time of measurement combination, I have a sales growth
figure. So my desired output would look like this:

Panel ID (firm)        Time of measurement                      Sales
Sales growth in percent
103                                3                        3.3million   .
103                                4                        6.0million
81.81
103                                5                        8.2million
36.66
103                                6                        8.9million
8.53
104                                3                        45.2million
.
104                                4                        46.5million
2.87
104                                5                        43.2million
-7.09
104                                6                        37.2million
-13.88

Unfortunately, I keep running against a wall here. Do you have any
suggestions as to how one could manipulate the data to arrive
at this sales growth variable?

Best regards,
Marcus
Dr. oec. Marcus Matthias Keupp, Dipl.-Kfm.
Head of Research Lab
University of St. Gallen
Institute of Technology Management
Dufourstrasse 40a