st: Re: RE: RE: Re: Re: Displaying mean in boxplot

Subject   st: Re: RE: RE: Re: Re: Displaying mean in boxplot
Date   Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:12:55 +0200

Is "mean" defined somewhere in this code? I get "r(111)" "variable mean not found"...

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:05 PM
Subject: st: RE: RE: Re: Re: Displaying mean in boxplot

Example of orthodox box plot follows. N.B. that this requires prior
installation of -egenmore- from SSC.

sysuse auto, clear

egen adju = adju(mpg), by(foreign)

egen adjl = adjl(mpg), by(foreign)

egen loq = pctile(mpg), by(foreign) p(25)

egen upq = pctile(mpg), by(foreign) p(75)

stripplot mpg, ///
over(foreign) ms(none) box(bfcolor(ltblue)) yla(, noticks) pstyle(p1)
///
addplot(rcap adjl adjl foreign, horizontal pstyle(p1) ///
   ||  rcap adju adju foreign, horizontal pstyle(p1) ///
   ||  rspike upq adju foreign, horizontal pstyle(p1) ///
   ||  rspike loq adjl foreign, horizontal pstyle(p1) ///
   ||  scatter foreign mpg if !inrange(mpg, adjl, adju), mcolor(navy)
///
   ||  scatter foreign mean, ms(D) mcolor(navy)  msize(*2))

Nick Cox

One way to do this through marker symbols, as requested, is through
-stripplot- from SSC.

sysuse auto, clear

egen mean = mean(mpg), by(foreign)

stripplot mpg, over(foreign) box stack centre height(0.2) ms(sh)
addplot(scatter foreign mean, ms(Dh) msize(*3))

With more work, you can come arbitrarily close to more conventional
forms of the box plot.

Martin Weiss

Admittedly, my earlier solution did not give you the dot you were
looking
for, but a reference line. If you have Stata 10, fire up the graph
editor
afterwards, use the -add marker- tool and place the marker onto the
reference line. Then highlight the reference line and kill it...
If -gr box- were part of the -twoway- family of graphs, one could
imagine
overlaying it with a -scatteri- to get the mean onto the graph more
reliably
than this...

Martin Weiss

sysuse auto, clear
su price, mean
graph box price, box(1, fcolor(none)) yline(`r(mean)')

Aca N.T.

Does anyone know how to put mean (preferably marked as dot) within
the
box using -gr box-?