Re: st: Syntax of -webuse-

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Syntax of -webuse-
Date   Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:42:36 +0200

If anything, Stata gives you more than you asked for which I do not find alarming. Line 19 in webuse.ado (*! version 1.2.0 04jun2007) simply takes the -using- statement and disregards anything else...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sergiy Radyakin" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: st: Syntax of -webuse-

Yes, Clive,

but it is that one case when it should not work like it works. It should [IMHO]

1) abort with an error "varlist not allowed", or
2) load only variable foreign from the dataset, not the whole dataset.

Current beahvior is not consistent with how other commands behave. Not
a big deal though,
but I was surprised today.

Regards, Sergiy

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Clive Nicholas