Re: st: Syntax of -webuse-

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Syntax of -webuse-
Date   Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:53:26 +0100

Sergiy Radyakin wrote:

> does webuse support variable list? It aborts with an error message
> when if or in is specified, but proceeds with a variable list. It
> loads the complete dataset and not only those variables specified in
> the list (in Stata 9.2/10.1). Is this intended for compatibility with
> something?
>
> clear
> webuse foreign using auto
> describe

Works just fine with me:

. about

Stata/SE 9.2 for Windows
Born 20 Jul 2007
Copyright (C) 1985-2007

Total physical memory:     1047920 KB
Available physical memory:  242232 KB

Single-user Stata for Windows perpetual license:
       Serial number:  [Mind your own!]
         Licensed to:  Clive Nicholas
                       University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne

. update

Stata executable
    folder:               C:\Program Files\Stata9\
    name of file:         wsestata.exe
    currently installed:  20 Jul 2007

Ado-file updates
    folder:               C:\Program Files\Stata9\ado\updates\
    names of files:       (various)
    currently installed:  20 Jul 2007

Recommendation
    Type -update query- to compare these dates with what is available from
    http://www.stata.com.

Click to edit automatic update checking preferences

. clear

. webuse foreign using auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. describe

Contains data from http://www.stata-press.com/data/r9/auto.dta
  obs:            74                          1978 Automobile Data
 vars:            12                          13 Apr 2005 17:45
 size:         3,478 (99.9% of memory free)   (_dta has notes)
              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
make            str18  %-18s                  Make and Model
price           int    %8.0gc                 Price
mpg             int    %8.0g                  Mileage (mpg)
rep78           int    %8.0g                  Repair Record 1978
headroom        float  %6.1f                  Headroom (in.)
trunk           int    %8.0g                  Trunk space (cu. ft.)
weight          int    %8.0gc                 Weight (lbs.)
length          int    %8.0g                  Length (in.)
turn            int    %8.0g                  Turn Circle (ft.)
displacement    int    %8.0g                  Displacement (cu. in.)
gear_ratio      float  %6.2f                  Gear Ratio
foreign         byte   %8.0g       origin     Car type
Sorted by:  foreign

--
Clive Nicholas

<[email protected]>. Please respond to contributions I make in
a list thread here. Thanks!]

methodology. I prefer to call it style." -- Freeman J. Dyson.