st: Generating an ID

From   "Maria Garden" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Generating an ID
Date   Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:15:05 +0100

Dear Stata list,

I have the following problem: I have data where people had been asked
to provide their name and the name of their twin.

I would like to generate an identifier for each twin pair. How can I
do that without really search for each name? I have a couple of
hundred people.

My data looks like this:

name / Twin name / TwinID
Helena Harris / Joanne Moore / 1
Kevin Dedman / Tom Dedman / 2
Freya Lamb / Sandra Scott / 3

Sandra Scott / Freya Lamb / 3
Tom Dedman / Kevin Dedman / 2
Joanne Moore / Helena Harris / 1

How can I generate the variable TwinID? Can anyone help?

Thank you very much.

Maria