Re: st: pool cross-section survey data

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: pool cross-section survey data
Date   Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:00:11 -0400

Gaby,

1. Austin and Stas have already give good advice about doing a treatment comparison. Austin referred to a "super-stratum". By that he means, I believe, the following: Suppose survey 1 had I strata; survey 2 had J strata: survey 3 had K strata. You should create a new (super-stratum), so that the total of your strata is I+J+K. One way is: "egen new_strat = group(survey stratum)". If the original surveys were not stratified, then survey will be your new stratum variable.

2. I would like to know more detail about the treatment assignments and the two-stage and three-stage designs: What were the units at each stage of each survey? How the survey design and treatment design interact? For example, were different treatments applied to different survey strata? Did each PSU receive only one treatment? Were treatments randomly assigned to areas? Were there any certainty units? This will have implications for the "degrees of freedom" for your tests. There was a thread about this at: http://www.stata.com/ statalist/archive/2008-01/msg00187.html about this. Although at the time, I agreed with Jeff Pitblado's (and Stata's) default recommendation, now I am not so sure. See Korn and Graubard, 1999, Analysis of Health Surveys, Wiley, Section 5.1.

3. You have asked if you need to aggregate your data, but I'm not sure what you mean by "area", "cohort," and "district".

4. Stata's survey analysis programs will answer the question: How different is change (in means, proportion) over time in areas with treatment A from the change in areas with treatment B? The p-values will be based on the survey design. Do you wish your conclusions to also generalize beyond the areas in this study? If so, then perhaps standard errors should be based on "between-area" differences in response profiles, just as in a longitudinal study of individuals. This brings the analysis back to the longitudinal, model-based ("super-population") approaches that Austin and Stas have written about.

-Steve