st: forvalues and _N

From   "Bastian Steingros" <>
Subject   st: forvalues and _N
Date   Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:31:36 +0200

Hi Stata users,

I have been searching for a special command in regard to *forvalues*, but without success.

I need something like:

gen N=_N

forvalues i = 1/N {

In my case, N is the maximum number of observations in my sample. I do not want to write 22345 or something instead of N because the number of observations might vary depending on how many observations I have dropped before.

But it is not possible to use N in a loop command at this place.

Are you aware of any stata updates being a solution to that problem?

Do you know a way to program it any better?

Bastian M Steingros

GMX startet Hier findest Du Leute mit Deinen Interessen!
Jetzt dabei sein: