Re: st: RE: follow up on Stata

From   "Friedrich Huebler" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: follow up on Stata
Date   Wed, 8 Oct 2008 20:12:57 -0400

Prashant,

What do you mean by "even when the old demographic data format might
be different across departments"? Are the old files not standardized
according to the previous payroll system? If the layout of the files
is the same across different departments you can write a do-file that
loops over the old files, reformats them and saves them in the new
format.

local filelist: dir . files "*.dta"
foreach file of local filelist {
  use "`file'"
  gen newvar1 = oldvar1
  gen newvar2 = oldvar2
  * Create other variables, format data, etc.
  drop oldvar1 oldvar2
  save "`file' new"
}

Friedrich