st: pool cross-section survey data

From   Ana Gabriela Guerrero Serdan <>
Subject   st: pool cross-section survey data
Date   Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:03:51 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Stata users,

I wonder if you could point me out on readings and on the main issues when trying to pool two or three independent cross-sectional surveys. N is large and T is small. The data is not panel in the sense that I do not observe the same individuals in the three surveys but they are representative at the provincial and urban/rural areas.

I am trying to see if I can model something like this:

Yidt= a + b Xidt + c Zt + dPidt + u

where Xit are characteristics that might varied over time for each individual. Z is specific time for all individuals. P is dummy for individuals treated in region d and time t.

 I have been reading the Wooldrige on cross-sectional and panel data but would like to know if you know of any other sources or have in mind any applied examples and/or econometric problems you may encounter.

Gaby Guerrero Serdan

Deparment of Economics
Royal Holloway, University of London
Egham, Surrey