Re: st: -strel- syntax problems...

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -strel- syntax problems...
Date   Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:35:00 +0100

Thanks to Eva and Kieran for their replies...

I realised yesterday on the way home after posting that I had been a
little hasty as I'd not checked the -man syntax- page to fully
understand the -syntax- thats being used.

Eva Poen wrote:
> I don't have experience with -strel-, I'm afraid. Just from looking at
> the -syntax- statement, the using option should not be specified with
> parenthesis.
>
> Try
>
> strel br(0[0.25]3[.5]5) using data/stata/life_tables if(sex == 1), ///
>    mergeby(sex year age)

Thanks for the pointer, this was one of the -syntax- errors that I'd
made, the other was that....

syntax anything(name=breaks id="numlist")

...expects simply a list of numbers that is then stored in the local
macro `breaks'.  I made this mistake mainly due to working without the
new help-file and relying on old do-file examples (and of coures not
reading -man syntax-) and was therefore incorrectly specifying
-br(0[.25]3[.5]5)- when in actual fact the encapsulating -br()- is not
required.

Kieran McCaul wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> The -stset- is saying you have no failures - no deaths - is this
> correct?

Well spotted, another over-sight on my behalf, I've corrected this and
have hit another problem that I'm working through, but this would no
doubt have caused me some head scratching when I didn't get any results
at the end!

Thanks again, and apologies for not reading the -man- pages.

Neil

--
"We should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Anon (not Albert Einstein)

This  message  may  contain  confidential and  privileged  information.
If you  are not the  intended recipient  you should not  disclose, copy
or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on its contents.  To do so is strictly  prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please  inform  the  sender that  this  message has  gone astray before
deleting it.  Thank you.

2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the NHS.  It's an opportunity to pay
tribute to the NHS staff and volunteers who help shape the service, and
celebrate their achievements.

If you work for the NHS  and  would like  an NHSmail  email account, go
to: www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail