st: Re: outreg, outreg2, and the thread-jacking

Subject   st: Re: outreg, outreg2, and the thread-jacking
Date   Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:22:55 +0200

Wow, not sure whether I should even comment. I love Stata! I love the Stata community (two UGMs this year and counting)! And maybe I am a little too "prolific" at the moment. But careful what you wish for: For all we know, Bastian would have gone without a proper answer this morning (German morning, that is) if it had not been for me. He privately contacted me a couple of minutes (!) after I had replied to the list, and his email showed quite clearly that my reply helped him solve his problem.
If the avenue to the solution involved the number 2 on -ssc hot- and not the clear number one, that is because a user of the number two (me, that is) bothered to reply. But hey, a little competition keeps everybody on their toes, right?
BTW, Roy, a little inconsistent that you should exempt Johannes`post of all posts (http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-10/msg00309.html) from your rant who recommends not only one but two packages other than yours...

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roy Wada" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 7:23 PM
Subject: st: outreg, outreg2, and the thread-jacking

Dear People,

Thread-jacking is taking over a thread by taking a part of
the thread and twisting around to the thread-jacker's own
topic, thereby hijacking the original intent of the post.
People starts responding to the new, hijacked content.

A small number of people has been a habitual offender.
Most recently Martin Weiss has done it several times.

I could return the favor by hijacking the threads related to
Martin's purposes, but it would quickly become old, ugly,
and tiresome. Surrogates and fake postings become involved.
We are halfway there.

In my view, this is highly undesirable for everyone involved,
including every subscriber to the Statalist who would be
sujected to them.

Before that happens, I suggest everyone follow my example,
which is to refrain from interjecting into other people's
program unless it directly pertains to that particular program.

Roy