st: reporting cox regression for ordinal variables

From   "moleps islon" <>
Subject   st: reporting cox regression for ordinal variables
Date   Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:13:03 +0200

Dear statalisters,
I'm writing up a paper on survival in cancer. However I've got two
ordinal variables. I've done the univariate analysis using xi: stcox
a, and then tested for linear trend using testparm and discarded one
of the variables due to p>0.5. However one of my variables (ecog)
comes back highly significant using - testparm -.
In a regular cox table how would you report this? Would you report
each and every one of the levels of the ordinal variable with its
coefficient? Or can I just use the beta from stcox without xi'ing it
since I now know the variable has a linear relationship??