Re: st: Identify Categorical/Dichotomous and Continuous Variables

From   Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Identify Categorical/Dichotomous and Continuous Variables
Date   Sun, 5 Oct 2008 15:44:38 +0200

Frank wrote:
I am new to Stata: moved from SPSS a week ago. I am hoping
that someone can help me with what I imagine is a simple
issue. I saved an SPSS file as a Stata one. I am working
my way through the user guide and the data management
manual, but I am having difficulty with confirming whether
Stata recognizes variables as continuous (or scale) or
categorical/dichotomous (or nominal). In SPSS, you can
easily identify whether the type of measure is a scale,
nominal, or string with its drop down menu in the variable
view. It would be a great help, and I would appreciate it
very much if someone would tell me the method to confirm
the data type for categorical/dichotomous and for
continuous variables? Thank you.
As Martin responded: Stata has no formal distinction between
continuous and categorical numeric variables. However, the
    codebook, compact
may tell you what you want. The -Unique- column tells you
how many "unique" (meaning different) values each variable
Hope this helps
Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark