Re: st: RE: SUR correction for autocorrelation

From   "Dalhia Mani" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: SUR correction for autocorrelation
Date   Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:43:15 -0500

Benjamin,

Thanks. This is useful but I'd like to clarify and make sure I
understand your comments.  I apologize if these are really elementary
questions. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out.

1) The data is not time series.  I have data about firms for a single
time period, and I also have data indicating which firms belong to
which cluster of firms.  From what I understand, you are suggesting
that I should use the Prais-Winston command in stata, with a "cluster"
option?? Did I understand you correctly?

2) I am a bit confused about whether I should be using SUR or
simultaneous equations.
My three equations look something like this:
 y1=f(X+Z)+e_1
 y2=g(X+Z)+y1+e_2
y3=g(X+Z)+y1+y2+e_3
This set of equations looks like simultaneous equations since
independent variables in one equation become dependent variables in
another.  However, I also seem to remember that in cases where all
equations use the same exogenous variables (X and Z), I should be
using SUR.

Thanks for your suggestions and help. I appreciate it.
dalhia

Dalhia Mani
Department of Sociology
University of Minnesota