st: RE: survival analysis: an elementary question

From   "Kieran McCaul" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: survival analysis: an elementary question
Date   Sat, 4 Oct 2008 11:15:38 +0800

Are you looking at the hazard ratio or the beta coefficient?  The CI
around the HR can't be negative, but it can be negative around the beta.

Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)
University of Western Australia
Level 6, Ainslie House
48 Murray St
Perth 6000
Phone: (08) 9224-2140
Fax: (08) 9224 8009
The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Michael
Sent: Saturday, 4 October 2008 11:02 AM
To: Statalist
Subject: st: survival analysis: an elementary question

Is it theoretically possible for the 95% confidence interval about
the hazard ratio to include 0, such that the lower bound is a
negative number? I've encountered into this with a program I've
written (too long to post here, and I don't want to bother anyone),
but I'm certain I've done something incorrectly. Might someone have a
moment to clarify this question?

Best wishes,
Michael McCulloch

Pine Street Foundation
124 Pine St., San Anselmo, CA 94960-2674
Tel:	(415) 407-1357
Fax:	(415) 485-1065