Re: st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable
Date   Fri, 3 Oct 2008 17:56:51 +0100 (BST)

--- Ashim Kapoor <> wrote:
> Maybe I should say why I am asking this. It just seems like STRANGE
> to me that the person who programmed stata to work the way it does
> INTENTIONALLY allows us to do :-
> egen x=max(y)
> but does not allow us to do
> local x=max(y).
> It just seems counterintuitive and a waste of memory. Seems unlikely
> that the guy who programmed this did not think of this. That is why I
> think that I am missing something.

That is because -egen- subcommand -max()- has a different syntax than
the -max()- function (see -help max-). Fuctions are much more general
animals than -egen- subcommands in that they can be directly applied in
a variety circumstances, like defining a macro, while -egen- can only
be used for creating a variable. (see -help function-, the User's guide
section 13.3, and -help egen-)

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam