st: Opterons or Xeons for fast 64-bit processing?

From   Dave Ewart <>
Subject   st: Opterons or Xeons for fast 64-bit processing?
Date   Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:59:15 +0100

I realise this is probably going to trigger a very subjective response,
but I'd be interested in hearing opinions from people who run
long-running Stata jobs on 64-bit (Linux, particularly).

I am in a position where we will soon be purchasing a new server to use
for statistical analyses: either a Dell R900 or a Dell R905, probably,
so that we can put 128GB on a single system: we run some *very* large

The R900 uses Xeon 2.93GHz quad-core processors, the R905 uses Opteron
2.3GHz quad-core processors.  The R905 is around 50%-100% more

Looking at it from a purely processing point of view, which of the above
would you expect to run faster?  Do the clock speeds matter, given that
they are different CPUs?  Is Stata more well suited to one type of CPU
than another?

We will be using Stata 10 MP4.

Dave Ewart
Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
University of Oxford / Cancer Research UK
PGP: CC70 1883 BD92 E665 B840 118B 6E94 2CFD 694D E370
Get key from
N 51.7518, W 1.2016