Re: st: do file script from text wrangler

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: do file script from text wrangler
Date   Thu, 2 Oct 2008 19:39:49 -0400

Nirali, I think now that I understand your problem. Your data is not in the same directory as your do-files. Now that you are starting Stata from your do-files with the dataninja script, Stata doesn't know where the data are. The solution is easy: in the do-files (not the script) tell Stata where to find the data.

Here is the method I use. I create local macros to make it easy to refer to the data sets. Suppose your data are in two different folders, data_1 and data_2 inside a "project" folder. Create the following macros:

local dat1 "~/Documents/Curr_Proj/project/data_1/" //path to data_1
local dat2 "~/Documents/Curr_Proj/project/data_2/" //not used here, but handy if you need it

use `dat1'd1_01, clear // use a data file in data_1
(some commands)
save `dat1'd1_02, replace // save the changes in another file (never the same one!)

Another possibility is to change the directory to your

To find the path to the do-files in BBEdit, I click the blue "i" button at the top of the document; one of the options is to copy the path to the clipboard. I'm sure that you can do the same in Text Wrangler. Tip: keep both the do-file and log folder and the data folders open where you can see them.

Good luck!

-Steve