Re: st: Test for trend in surveys

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Test for trend in surveys
Date   Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:37:19 -0400

�ngel,

You asked for a simple non-regression command for a trend in proportions with complex surveys. As you can see, there is none. All in all, I would go with Phil's original suggestion of using -svy: logit-.

In Stata, the Cochran-Armitage test is the test for trend in - tabodds- and -mhodds- (where it is called the "score test"). It is, in fact, the likelihood score test for a non-zero coefficient in a logistic model, but it has good properties when the dose-response curve is increasing or decreasing, although not logistic. (Gart & Tarone, 1983). The following code shows that the trend statistics of the Cochran-Armitage test, -svy: reg-, and -svy: logit- can be similar when applied to independent data.

When you have done your test for trend, you are not finished. If the trend is not significant, you may still have powerful association (think "U" or "inverted U" dose-response). If the trend is significant, other functions of the X variable to may give better prediction.

(Ref: JJ Gart & RE Tarone, The Relation between Score Tests and Approximate UMPU Tests in Exponential Models Common in Biometry, Biometrics, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Sep., 1983), pp. 781-786).

********************CODE STARTS******************
use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r10/bdesop,clear
expand freq
tab tobacco case, row
tabodds case tobacco
svyset _n // triggers robust standard error
svy: reg case tobacco
svy: logit case tobacco

I believe strata
and clusters are not important because the formula for the standard
error of this nonparametric test (see Stata Reference Manual K-Q page
338) should not be affected by these specifications

The standard error formula for a procedure that is not survey- enabled may say nothing about clustering or stratification, but with clustered/stratified/weighted data, that formula will be wrong. Consider a sample of 4 clusters, 100 people subsampled in each, all weights equal, with the following data: 100/100, 0/100, 0/100, 100/00 . Here the sample proportion is P= 200/400 = 0.5. What is the standard error? Is it, 0.025, the square root of the standard formula PQ/400? If you run -prop-, the answer is SE = 0.02503. (Stata multiplies 0.025 by (400/399)^.5). If you properly -svyset- the data and identify the clusters, -svy: prop- will report a standard error of about 0.29. The "PQ/n" formula is totally misleading, because clustering has reduced the effective sample size to around four.

-Steve