st: RE: Two-sided P value for Wilcoxon (Mann-Whitney) rank-sum test

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Two-sided P value for Wilcoxon (Mann-Whitney) rank-sum test
Date   Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:50:41 +0100

The P-value given by -ranksum- is in fact 2-sided. That is why it is given as

    Prob> |z| =   0.7003

where z is the asymptotically standard Normal test statistic and  |z| is its modulus (or absolute value). Most people prefer a 2-valued P-value, and a lot of people are confused by the multiple P-values given by -ttest-.

If you want to calculate confidence intervals (as well as P-values) for rank statistics, then you might use the -somersd- package, which you can download from SSC, and which calculates confidence intervals for a range of rank statistics, such as Kendall's tau-a, Somers' D, and median slopes, differences and ratios. A few documents, papers and presentations on the -somersd- package can be downloaded from my website. (See my signature below.)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil