Re: st: Verify randomization in a large sample

Subject   Re: st: Verify randomization in a large sample
Date   Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:08:13 -0400

Peter <[email protected]>:
No * SOAP BOX * required--I agree that if you did the randomization
job right, there is no need to test for balance, except perhaps to
convince your readers you did not get extremely unlucky in the
randomization process, or to reassure them you did the randomization
right.  And you should probably be adjusting for covariates in some
way anyway, not just to reduce bias in estimating average treatment
effects, but to improve efficiency!  Most of these points were made in
a very cogent way in the 1920's by Fisher:
http://digital.library.adelaide.edu.au/coll/special//fisher/48.pdf
(note the nice statement of the hypothetical counterfactual or
potential outcome on the second page and see also
http://www.jstor.org/stable/2245382 and Rubin's remarks).