st: RE: overlapping histograms

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: overlapping histograms
Date   Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:05:55 +0200

How important is the -histogram- for you? If you could be persuaded to use
-kdensity- to illustrate the shift, that might be no less impressive, and
your problem would magically vanish...

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Jeph Herrin
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 5:03 PM
Subject: st: overlapping histograms

I've been trying to create a graph which shows
two overlapping histograms - I'm trying to show
how the distribution for a quantity if interest
has shifted from time A to time B.

Putting two histograms on one graph is not the

  twoway (histogram myvarA) (histogram myvarB)

but the problem is that one obscures the other. I
can make the one on top "clear" (specify -color(none)-)
but because the bars line up it still difficult to
distinguish them. So I'm looking for a way to do

1. make the overlapping areas a darker color than
    either histogram is alone
2. shift the bars for one histogram so that the one
    behind can be seen ever so slightly

Is there a way to do either? Is there a better solution?

thanks in advance,