Re: Re: st: R: ttest and log transformation

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: R: ttest and log transformation
Date   Sun, 28 Sep 2008 15:31:26 +0200

Dear Rich,
Your Stata syntax is definitely too advanced for me so I shy away to judge
it over and I take the liberty to refer you to the one sketched in my
yesterday's example.
As far as r(t) bootstrapping is concerned, the only remark that seems to me
noteworthy to add is to prepare your pre-bootstrap data in order to make the
compared samples have equal means (please, see my yesterday' example and
Stata Manual (my release is) 9.2 [R] A-J -bootstrap-), whereas, as stated by
Efron B, Tibshirani RJ. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. New York: Chapman
& Hall, 1993: 223 "there is non compelling reason to assume equal variances"
in "considering a bootstrap hypothesis test form comparing the two means (in
the example the mean survival times for 7 treated mice vs 9 untreated mice
were compared (pag. 11 of the cited textbook); hence, the small sample issue
should be properly tackled via the bootstrap procedure). Some skewness
problems may arise with the bootstrap CIs (particularly with the percentile
ones)of your bootstrap estimate: however, Stata can offer you 3 other
different CIs to minimize this drawback (please, see -bootstrap- and
-bootstrap postestimation- in Stata Manual [R] A-J.

Kind Regards and enjoy your Sunday,

Carlo