Re: st: undocumented command *

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: undocumented command *
Date   Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:46:42 -0500

As Richard Goldstein commented, this is undocumented via -which- in the same sense as //, ///, etc. In the sense that it goes on a command line, it is a command, but not really otherwise.

But -search *- points to material on comments, among other things.

Eva Poen wrote:

Today I stumbled upon this neat little command -*-, whose only purpose
in life seems to be to do nothing at all, and swallow everything
behind it:

* blah blubb this does not make any sense but Stata doesn't complain,
surprisingly

(Try typing this in Stata.) I found it while implementing some
entertaining dots for my exact unconditional test program, in the
style of -simulate- etc. I examined simulate.ado, and there it was.
-which *- shows that it officially doesn't exist.

I was wondering if there are more of these "hidden gems", which might
be useful in programming, but are not only undocumented but also
invisible for -which-. Any suggestions?