st: Re: Centering on age for -stcox-

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Centering on age for -stcox-
Date   Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:31:44 +0200

-h egen, std()-

Martin _______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael McCulloch" <>
To: "Statalist" <>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:23 PM
Subject: st: Centering on age for -stcox-

In studying the manual (v9, page 147) section on the Technical Note for Example 7 of -stcox-, I read that specifying the baseline hazard option requires all variables to make sense if they would be equal to zero (which of course would not be the case with a variable such as age). That makes sense to me.

At the bottom of that page, I read that this can be resolved by subtracting mean age from each subject's age. I wish to do this within a short program. How would I write a command that subtracts the mean from age for each observation?

* For searches and help try: