st: Apple Script to Comment Lines in Text Wranger/BBEdit

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Apple Script to Comment Lines in Text Wranger/BBEdit
Date   Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:34:40 -0400

For Mac users who edit do-files in BBEdit or Text Wrangler, here's a simple script to comment and uncomment lines in selected text. (Yes, "uncomment" is in the dictionary). Although the script can be slow, I find it saves me effort compared to inserting and deleting "/*" and "*/" before and after a text block. Text Wrangler users, substitute "Text Wrangler" in the tell statement. To use: open in BBEdit or TW, zap gremline, insert into Script Editor, save the script into the BBEdit Scripts folder, and assign a menu key combination.

-Steve

(*
Add & remove // in Selection
Activate with Menu Key
*)

tell application "BBEdit"
activate
repeat with x in lines of selection of window 1 of text document 1
if exists character 1 of text of x then
set start to character 1 of text of x as text
else
set start to ""
end if
if start is not "/" then
replace "^" using "// " searching in text of x options {search mode:grep}
else
replace "^// " using "" searching in text of x options {search mode:grep}
end if
end repeat
end tell

Steven Samuels